There are many benefits of chocolate that you need to know, including the benefits of dark chocolate which is very nutritious and contains antioxidants that are good for your body, lower blood pressure, and prevent diabetes.
The main ingredient of chocolate is cocoa. Flavanols in cocoa have antioxidant effects that can reduce cell damage and reduce the risk of certain diseases, such as heart disease .
Suppressing the Risk of Disease
There are two types of chocolate that are generally known, namely dark chocolate and milk chocolate . Black chocolate is considered healthier than milk chocolate, because of its higher antioxidant content, and less sugar and fat content. In addition, the flavanol content in dark chocolate is also more than milk chocolate.
- A study says that chocolate is useful to avoid someone affected by heart and blood vessel disease (cardiovascular). That is because the effects that can be obtained from chocolate to health, among others:
- Lower blood pressure . On average, consumption of chocolate suppresses systolic blood pressure by up to two points.
- Increase HDL ( high-density lipoprotein ) which is also known as good cholesterol. Chocolate can also reduce LDL (low-density lipoprotein) or bad cholesterol .
- Prevent diabetes by improving insulin resistance . For people with type 2 diabetes, another benefit is to minimize complications from high blood sugar .
- Streamlining blood flow, to reduce the risk of heart disease.
Another study found that dark chocolate consumed can reduce chronic fatigue syndrome experienced every day.
In fact, on the other hand, consumption of chocolate is also believed to have harmful effects on the body. For example, triggers acne and worsens existing acne. However, this still requires further research.
The delicious chocolate taste also often causes addiction or addiction. In addition, cocoa in chocolate also contains caffeine , which can cause side effects such as nervousness, increased urination, rapid heartbeat, allergies to the skin, constipation, and can cause migraines.
Tricks to Eat Chocolate
You can get various benefits of chocolate, provided you take them properly and correctly. Nowadays a lot of chocolate in packaging is marketed with a lot of additional ingredients, so that it can lead to an increase in fat, sugar and calories. This is certainly not good for your health, because it can lead to various risks of disease.
Basically, cocoa in chocolate contains low sugar and fat. Meanwhile, insoluble fiber that is owned by cocoa comes mostly from the unprocessed cocoa shells.
If you want to take advantage of chocolate for health, then choose unsweetened cocoa powder that can be served in low-fat milk, oatmeal, or other foods and drinks you consume.
One tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder contains at least 20 calories, about 0.5 grams of fat and 1 gram of fiber. This type of cocoa also does not contain saturated fat.
Unlike dark chocolate, milk chocolate does not contain fiber at all. In addition, milk chocolate contains higher calories, fat and saturated fat.
To obtain the various benefits of chocolate that has been described above, pay attention to the labels on the product packaging before buying it. Preferably, avoid products with lots of additional ingredients and excessive sweeteners.